Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Surrounded by Neighborhood Culture--Colombia Flower Market, London

I always try to get a feel for the local culture of a city (especially when I travel by myself), and local markets are one of the best means to discover. From the recommendation of a new local London friend, I spent my last day in the neighborhood of Shoreditch. Each Sunday, a quiet street lined with cafes, vintage shops, and art galleries, transforms into a vibrant market where flower vendors sell any and every type of flower imaginable. My senses were stimulate by fragrant smells of hydrangeas, the sounds of vendors yelling out 'buy five, get one free' and a local artist performing on her accordion, and the bold, black taste of my coffee. The market draws people from all parts of the city--a promenade of fashionable city folk. As I explored further from Colombia Street to Brick Lane and finally to Liverpool Station, it seemed as if the entire city carried these bundles of flowers--all wrapped up in the same fashion of brown paper. 




No comments:

Post a Comment