Wednesday, November 5, 2014

On the Other Side of the River--Cork, Ireland

I have not written of my hometown in a long time. I have been swept away by the romance of other cities, but each time I return home at the end of a traveling weekend, I am comforted by the quaint and compact city of Cork. I can compare Cork to a mini Manhattan. The confines of the city include the island, which is segregated above and below by the River Lee, and the 'Brooklyn'-esque area surrounding the island, finally fading into countryside. 'Manhattan' (city center) is the hub for business, shopping, and drinking. I live and spend much of my time here. But 'Brooklyn' has a lot to offer too--pubs that are not as well known (how hipster!), a flea market with any knick or knack you would never think of, and a fresh take on street art. This is where I spend most of my time exploring the local culture and architecture of the Irish. 



No comments:

Post a Comment